Magic Quotations (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Aug 11 00:14:28 UTC 2010

Thanks for the great cites for the classic phrase used in magic.

Here is an example in 1843 that concerns cheating at cards:

Cite: 1843, "Lady Singleton; Or The World As It Is" by Thomas Medwin,
Volume 3, Page 183, Cunningham & Mortimer, London. (Google Books full
view)

The hand is said to be quicker than the eye, as is proved by some of
the most respectable clubs in London; a few years ago, certain
punctures, almost invisible, might be felt by very sensitive and
well-filed skins; ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=B8fTAAAAMAAJ&q=%22quicker+than%22#v=snippet&

Here is an entertaining example from 1796 that follows the theme of
"hands quicker than the eye" but does not use the full phrase. Nor
does it involve a magician or a card cheat:

Cite: 1796 November, The European magazine: and London review,
"Desultory Remarks on the Study and Practice of Music, Addressed to a
Young Lady While Under the Tuition of an Eminent Master, Written in
the Years 1790 - 1 and 2."  Page 357, Philological Society, London.
(Google Books full view)

In the brilliant stile of play Celerio is recherche in the extreme,
and, as a flight-of-hand performer, au fait to a degree of luxuriance
which none have yet attained, and wherein no one can exceed him. From
the very lowest to the uppermost key, and back again, he is quicker
than the eye can follow him, or the ear catch the sounds produced in
this flight des les doigts.

http://books.google.com/books?id=91E3AAAAMAAJ&q=uppermost#v=snippet&

Garson