"PIN" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 13 16:42:06 UTC 2010

Victor

You are right -- I am missing the point.

You talk about the difference in distribution "relative to the
underlying abbreviation". I don't know what that means.

As I said, NBA and NFL are abbreviations of real names names that have
been used for decades along with their abbreviations.

MLB is effectively a rebranding, using the phrase Major League
Baseball as its source. One still  finds writers and publications
referring to ML baseball.

A hindrance for the adoption of MLB is that MLB runs both the Major
Leagues and the minor leagues, while the NFL and the NBA are
effectively synonymous with professional football and pro basketball,
having no (NFL) or few (NBA) inferior leagues.

A last point: KFC chicken is technically correct, since KFC is now the
brand name. Yet you seem to think it is wrong, in the same way many
people avoid talking about MLB baseball and use the older, more
comfortable terms such as "ML baseball" or the Major Leagues.

DanG