New e-mail list on variationist sociolinguistics

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Tue Aug 17 13:15:04 UTC 2010

Dear all

(Apologies for cross-postings, and sorry for bothering you, if you're not a
variationist sociolinguist!)

Sociolinguists (professional and serious amateur): please join the new
e-mail list, the Variationist List, at the following short link!

http://j.mp/VAR-L

I hope it'll end up as an international discussion forum for professional
sociolinguists - an easy way for us to tap into each other's expertise.
Since it was launched a couple of weeks ago over 100 people have
subscribed, from experienced researchers to undergraduates. Membership is
moderated, but all are welcome in principle! There have already been
discussions on appropriate normalisation methods for variationist studies,
variability in morphosyntactic marking of past-tense meaning in English,
the 'fée'-'fais' merger in French, and other issues - so the early signs
are promising.

If you want, you can get a daily digest of postings so you're only bothered
by it once a day. If you have any questions about it, please don't hesitate
to ask - otherwise, I hope to see you on the list!

Many thanks for reading this far - looking forward to seeing you there -

Best wishes

Damien Hall

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK