quote = 'say or write (something memorable)'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 18 16:31:32 UTC 2010

At 12:17 PM -0400 8/18/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Reading this reminded me of the many times I read it in freshman themes in
>the 1980s and probably '70s:
>
>2010 _WikiAnswers_
>http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_quoted_The_more_you_sweat_in_peace_the_less_you_bleed_in_war
>:Who
>quoted The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war?* *sun tzu*.*

Maybe that's why the current generation doesn't know what counts as
plagiarism and what doesn't--it's not that they've spent too much
time sampling music, it's that they don't know whether quoting means
making something from scratch or recycling what's already out there.

LH