The plural of "moose" is ...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 19 01:29:01 UTC 2010

At 8:50 PM -0400 8/18/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>But I thought we knew that. I mean the correct plural of "moose."
>
>But if that's news, did you know that the plural of any animal is the
>singular if you're hunting it/them?
>
>"Whatcha huntin', Clem?"
>"Aardvark. En yew?"
>"Tuatara. Them's mighty fine eatin'."
>
>The pattern might not work for bugs though.
>
>JL

Right--"My cat was hunting moth this evening".  Not great.  (For her
either; it flew off.)

But these <- bug> object-of-hunt cases would correspond in many
languages to incorporated objects as in "I'm aardvark-hunting", where
"aardvark" isn't really singular, plural, inflectable (via object
markers) or modifiable (except perhaps in "big game hunting") .  The
object is non-specific, so semantically the question of number
doesn't really arise.

LH