"See at" = see to, check; "see in" = look at

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 19 01:39:28 UTC 2010

And while we're on the subject of odd prepositions, particularly
popping up in songs, how about the "from" that always puzzled me in
this verse, which I just heard on the radio:

I know you, rider, (you're) gonna miss me when I'm gone
I know you, rider, (you're) gonna miss me when Im gone
Gonna miss your baby, from rolling in your arms.

Often assumed to be by the Grateful Dead, who covered it, but it's a
lot older.  Older than the Joan Baez version from the early 60s.
Interesting that the syntax of that third line has been preserved
over what, 75 years?

LH