More on early txtng

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Aug 19 18:02:18 UTC 2010

Do we know the earliest examples the British Library has found?  If
its merely 1867 --

There will be examples of the linguistic games people played, and a
poem from Gleanings From the Harvest-Fields of Literature, published
in 1867. In it, 130 years before the arrival of mobile phone texting,
Charles C Bombaugh uses phrases such as "I wrote 2 U B 4". Another
verse reads: "He says he loves U 2 X S,/ U R virtuous and Y's,/ In X
L N C U X L/ All others in his i's."

then someone should inform them that this "emblematic poetry" arose
in America, by 1813 ... I'll try, but I have to wait until my
registration to post is confirmed. Larry, what is the date of your KTJ poem?

Joel