"Thanks! I Needed That!"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 22 03:50:08 UTC 2010

I will not swear for authenticity of the citation, but GB hit for
Street&Smith's Astounding Science-fiction, Vol. 21, Issue 4, 1945,
contains the line--

http://books.google.com/books?id=qvcDAAAAYAAJ
"The hull plates are of magnesium- beryl------ Thanks, Josh. I needed
that, I guess. I'll try my best to stop being silly." (allegedly, p.
14--not verified on paper, although only "1945" gets a hit from within
the volume and the volume information matches the dates.)

That does not appear to be the *earliest* instance and the expression
must have appeared either on the radio or in slapstick shorts long
before it hit television. It might have come from a commercial, but it
would have to have been a radio spot, not TV.

Here's another, although this one's a bit more of a stretch:

http://books.google.com/books?ei=-IBwTOCnFcH6lwfr_9mADw&ct=result&id=m5PNAAAAMAAJ
Munsie Magazine. Volume 92. 1927 [p. 430]
"Thanks--I needed that!" Lorne chuckled--and perhaps William did sigh
lightly, perhaps it did seem to him that that wallet would have been
small enough recompense for what he had suffered.

[NOTE: not verified on paper, but the search of the volume suggests
that it is in the earlier, 1927 part, not the latter part for which
the tag applies. It's also possible that it's yet another hashed up
volume with no possibility of divining any information from the
snippets.]

In question is the wallet that one character demanded form the other.
So, in both cases, the expression is used sarcastically--there are
plenty of GB instances going way back that use the straight version,
but I don't believe these two are among them. Most of the straight
ones are in reference to a drink, a cheer-up message, a wake-up call,
etc. So they are rather different from the two present instances. From
the looks of it--and you can check the distribution of the other
expressions--it seems that both versions originated in the early
1920s, possibly in response to each other. If that's the case, it was
not even a question of radio--vaudeville is more likely. As for film,
there is another possibility--this just could have been a line
delivered in one of the silent movie slapstick comedies.

Whatever the case, it seems rather likely that all the preceding
references were re-runs, not originals.

VS-)

PS: Just another example of how screwed up GB snippets are. The search
also came upon a volume that GB identified as Donaldson/Irving, The
Legend of Sleepy Hollow, 1958. That would be the play, not the
original Irving book. But going to the actual volume (which, in the
same passage, also contains a version of "Waiter! There is a fly in my
soup!") reveals that it's Charles Turner's Alice in Wonderland
(Musical), [Unpublished 1979; revised and published 1980]. There is no
hint of Irving or Sleepy Hollow anywhere in the volume (and it's a
preview rather than snippet version, so 2/3s of the pages are
visible).

http://books.google.com/books?id=zlKV_yfZ5hAC