"Thanks! I Needed That!"

Sun Aug 22 14:49:28 UTC 2010

In the clips of "The High and the Mighty" I can find on YouTube, John
Wayne slaps Robert Stack in the cockpit and mutters "Get a hold of
yourself, you yellow..." But there's no expression of gratitude from
Stack immediately after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYVvIqclEMM
(trailer, scene starts about 2 minutes in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnrTq9Y-uJY
(just the cockpit scene)

It's possible that Stack thanks Wayne a bit later, after the clip that
shows up in the trailer.

A few years later, in 1957, another plane crash movie was released --
"Zero Hour!", which served as the basis for "Airplane!" The makers of
"Airplane!" bought the rights to "Zero Hour!", so they were able to
crib dialogue verbatim. This video has a side-by-side comparison of
scenes from the two movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjU-e01zQ4

About 2 minutes in there's a scene with a woman screaming, "I've got
to get out of here!" In "Zero Hour!" a man just shakes here, but in
the "Airplane!" version, she's shaken, slapped, and otherwise abused
by a series of passengers. Anyway, no "thanks" here either, so that
doesn't really help us.

--bgz