"mush" #5, HDAS, is alive & well

Tue Aug 24 13:41:21 UTC 2010

HDAS has 1906-1993 for mush = a fool, a mutt.

The Day At The Races  BY JERRY BOSSERT    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, August 17th 2010, 4:00 AM

Sent off at 1-9, Kantharos returned $2.30 to win, running the 6-1/2 furlongs in 1:18.63.
"I watched too many movies," the trainer joked about the price. "I don't want any mushes betting on him, if you know what I mean. I know a couple of people who can keep Secretariat a maiden with $2."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/08/17/2010-08-17_untitled__races17s.html#ixzz0xWt5BmAs

I don't know what the movie allusion is.  I think the general import is that the trainer thinks that there are bettors who can jinks a horse by betting on it, and if such a bettor had taken a fancy to Secretariat, he would have never won a race.

As it is, it looks as if plenty of mushes bet on the horse -- I dare say that the bridge-jumpers were all out.
Personally, my religion forbids me to bet a horse at less than 4-1.

GAT

George A. Thompson