timely as an adverb (UNCLASSIFIED)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Aug 25 14:47:04 UTC 2010

        This is a standard legal usage, meaning that the appeal was
taken within applicable time limits.  It's a useful term in legal
writing and is used frequently.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:54 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: timely as an adverb (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

OED has "timely" as an adverb but with the notations arch., poet., and
obs., with the most recent citation in three different senses from 1842.

>From  "Millender v. County of Los Angeles (
http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2010/08/24/07-55518.pdf
):

"Messerschmidt and Lawrence timely appealed the district court's
determination that they were not entitled to qualified immunity."

I would have said "appealed in a timely fashion/manner", but I'm not a
Justice on the Federal Court of Appeals.