"go for the downs"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 27 01:47:10 UTC 2010

At 9:25 PM -0400 8/26/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Not only is it not in HDAS, I've never heard of it before.
>
>How common can it be?  Did it once refer to actual place near a ballpark
>called "The Downs"?
>
>I watched Yankees baseball on WPIX for ten years in the '50s and '60s, and
>the Mets on WOR for years after that and never noticed its use.
>
>JL

It's familiar to me, especially as "swing(ing) for the downs".
(Maybe The Downs are where all the marbles can be found.)  It seems
to me it's used mostly as a criticism; a player who ought to be just
trying to get on base or hitting a single or a ball into the gap in
going for/swinging for the downs is swinging from his heels and
likely missing the ball or popping up.

LH