Eponymous Baseball-Related Disease Names Not in OED

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sun Aug 29 00:29:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 10:36:52AM -0400, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

> I notice that "Tommy John surgery" is not in OED. More
> surprisingly, "Lou Gehrig's disease" also does not appear to
> be included.

Yes, it is. It was in Additions vol. III, and is in OED
Online, under _Lou Gehrig_ n.

Because of indexing issues, you won't find it by searching for
the phrase "Lou Gehrig's disease"; this has been fixed in the
database, and at the launch of the new OED Online that search
will work.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED