Kibosh origin?

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sun Aug 29 10:09:09 UTC 2010

I had always assumed it came through Yiddish, mostly because it 'sounds' Yiddish. But probably not. Unlike other Yiddish words that supposedly entered English through Cockney.

Of course Arabic is Semitic. So is Akkadian /kabaasu/ 'tread, tread down, press', Aramaic/Syriac /kaavash/ 'treaded down, subdued, pressed together', as well as Arabic /kabasa/ 'press, squeeze, kneaded; attack, raid'.
The fact that there is a list of cognates in the major Semitic languages indicates it's a Proto-Semitic root rather than a borrowing. Klein thinks it's related to */k-b-s/ with the meaning 'wash', also showing up in Ugaritic (I guess from washing by kneading, or something).
Data on p. 269=70.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program