Hamlet in translation

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Aug 30 01:37:21 UTC 2010

> header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Hamlet in translation
>
> Nearly half a century ago anthropologist Laura Bohannon headed to the Tiv
> people of West Africa to do fieldwork. One significant result of her work
> was a classic article called "Shakespeare in the Bush," which appeared in
> _Natural History_ in 1966.  It explored the idea (in this case, fact) that
> different cultures will probably make different sense of any given
> literary
> work, Shakespeare's _Hamlet_, for instance.
>
> If you haven't read it, you will be tested:
> http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/editors_pick/1966_08-09_pick.html

Some background to this:

            http://www.shaksper.net/archives/2002/1963.html

In case anyone is interested, Laura Bohannon was nicknamed "Dusty" Bohannon
when she was a student at Oxford in the fifties not (as I originally
thought) because of the colour of her hair but because she kept on falling
off a horse.  Go figure.

Robin