"rally"; "restore honor"

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Mon Aug 30 12:41:09 UTC 2010

Charles C Doyle wrote:
> At some point in my youth, I was carefully schooled regarding the distinction between
> "in memory of" and "in honor of."  It's simple (in a prescriptive way, at least):  dead vs.
> alive.

Meanwhile, here in Illinois, we have been getting a stream of gubernatorial proclamations
calling for the flag to be flown at half-mast "on behalf of" one or another soldier, police
officer, or fire fighter. It's been going on under two different governors - Blagojevich and
Quinn - so it isn't (as I initially surmised) just a Blago-ian idiosyncracy.

Jim Parish