slash

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 30 16:27:41 UTC 2010

At 4:06 PM +0000 8/30/10, Charles C Doyle wrote:
>Follow-up:
>
>Now several of my students (in different classes) are testifying to
>acquaintance with individuals named "L--a."  Is "L--a" the new
>"Caitlin"?
>
>--Charlie

More exotic, and more elegant in its simplicity, would be ":" for a boy.
(While the name often rhymes with "pollen", it's perhaps equally
often pronounced to rhyme with "bowlin'" and "stolen", especially in
the U.S.  Colin Powell pronounces it that way, if memory serves,
although as a traditionalist he employs the more conventional
spelling.)

LH