"mauve Hungarian band/music"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 30 22:15:05 UTC 2010

Thanks, Garson.  (Why I didn't myself find at least your first quote
Googling I don't know.)

I note that elsewhere in "An Ideal Husband" Wilde has Mrs. Cheveley
dressed in heliotrope (with diamonds), like the mauve of "Dorian
Gray" another slightly off shade of blue that Wilde was suspicious of
when worn by a woman.  (Both Mrs. Cheveley and the unnamed women of
"Dorian Gray" have histories and are not to be trusted.)

LORD GORING.  Oh! a genius in the daytime and a beauty at night!
MABEL CHILTERN.  I dislike her already.
LORD GORING.  That shows your admirable good taste.

Joel