one-drop rule

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Dec 2 04:56:15 UTC 2010

Hi Wilson,

I was quoting the OED, not writing in the "hist" bit. And I made
precisely your point a few weeks ago (specifically mentioning Obama
and Powell). Of course the one-drop rule still rules in the U.S. This
is what Langston Hughes wrote (in his autobiography) about this: "You
see, unfortunately, I am not black. There are lots of different kinds
of blood in our family. But here in the United States, the word
'Negro' is used to mean anyone who has any Negro blood at all in his
veins. In Africa, the word is more pure. It means all Negro, therefore
black. I am brown. My father was a darker brown. My mother an
olive-yellow. On my father's side, the white blood in his family came
from a Jewish slave trader in Kentucky, Silas Cushenberry, of Clark
County, who was his mother's father; and Sam Clay, a distiller of
Scotch descent, living in Henry County, who was his father's father."

But in recent weeks I've been trying to avoid expressing personal
opinions here, so this is as far as I'm going with this thread.

Paul