The new on-line OED -- quotations missing?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Dec 2 17:20:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 04:46:30PM -0500, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> It requires extra work to suppress the pronunciation and
> etymology.

Can you describe what you mean by "extra work"? You just click
on "Show Less" and it goes away.

To set the shorter or longer forms as a permanent option, you
can use "My preferences" in the "My OED" account page.

> And in the "From the second edition (1989)" display, I
> don't see any way to suppress it.

No; this is the same as with the "Earlier version" view on the
previous version of OED Online. When you look at the older
entries, you just get the entire entry. It's meant more for
historical comparison than for active use, so these features
were felt to be unnecessary.

> When a "cross reference" (to "chat") was overlaid, I saw no way to
> remove it (and see again what it was hiding).

Thanks. This is being looked into.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED