The Telegraph and the OED

Thu Dec 2 18:20:16 UTC 2010

The Hudson Chronicle of May 7, 1859 contains the poem (ack N.Y.
Evening Post) on the front page in column 6 in NewspaperArchive. The
search word "underdog" finds the instance, but the image scan actually
shows the existence of a space: "under dog". (Note there are earlier
instances in 1859 of the term and the poem.)