Request: Match p-l-y in 1756 document

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 4 14:10:58 UTC 2010

"Paltry" sounds good to me -- a Royal Navy
captain who was "peaceable" and did not fire at
the most effective time would be "a worthless
person or thing", at least at his job.  And it
might have been considered a libelous adjective.

But if you don't like that -- Is there a
countable number of dashes?  If so, let us know
how many.  Is the dashed word capitalized, thus someone's name?

Joel

At 12/3/2010 11:04 PM, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes
>
>This is a famous quotation associated with the battle of Bunker Hill,
>and it has been discussed on this list in the past. I have located a
>1756 instance of the command in the context of the Royal Navy. But the
>text contains a censored word, and I would like to know more about it.
>Some letters in the word have been replaced by dashes: "they have
>p-l-y captains". Suggestions for the identity of this word would be
>welcome.
>
>Cite: 1756 July 10, The Monitor: or British Freeholder, Issue Number
>49, Page 469, Printed for J. Scott, London.

 you must needs have heard, Sir Andrew, how the French captains are