Request: Match p-l-y in 1756 document

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 4 20:32:09 UTC 2010

Re "paltry" --

In 1776 an anti-American "poet" addressed John Hancock:

And dost thou dare, Ambition's paltry slave,
With rebel-hoardes the bloody flag to wave,
To seize with impious hands the rich domain
Unnumbered millions were misspent to gain?

In the Gentleman's Magazine, April, 1776, page 250.  Cited by Solomon
Lutnick, _The American Revolution and the British Press, 1775-1789_
(Univ. of Missouri Press, 1967), page 40 -- a book which I happen to
have started reading today.

The GM was an anti-colonial journal at the time; Hancock was spending
in the Patriots' cause the wealth accumulated by his father.  At
around this time, London newspapers were ceasing to use dashes to
report the names of speakers in Parliament, although the GM continued
this practice until 1778 (Lutnick, 6 n. 19).  The GM, of course,
would not have worried about libelling Hancock by printing the
complete word "paltry".

Joel