still baffled about fun with pronouns

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 7 19:22:34 UTC 2010

I'm not "ranting," let alone saying anything that attempts to fill out VS's imaginings about  "Ron's notion of what should and should not be
posted."

I'm just asking an honest linguistic question in response to VS's posted syntactic example and asking, "What is the point that I am missing here?": what is there about this example that people such as myself ("people who research and teach syntax ") should find remarkable?

There is nothing in what VS says below that explains what it is that he finds syntactically remarkable about the sentence. He says it is "obvious," but I obviously do not see this with his sophisticated eye. What does it mean to say, "it is Assange who is hiding between the pronouns and the extended complement"? Could VS give me a simple, straightforward answer so that I can understand what the point of his posting was?

AGAIN, so far as I can see, there are only two pronouns, both of which seem clearly to refer to Assange (named earlier in context that VS does not mention). There is one additional, clearly deictic, reference, apparently to Assagne. What is "remarkable" about that? What is "remarkable" about intersentential deixis?

I consider myself one who t fall into the general category of "people who research and teach syntax,"