Fear of "His"

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 8 15:31:21 UTC 2010

Along the same lines comes this, which is in all likelihood not drinking
from the well of postmodernism, but shows how much that well has spilled
over; it's probably the most sinuous way I've seen of boarding the pronoun
problem:

"In every other chapter, we will alternate between the masculine and
feminine pronouns and adjectives when describing humans. In every other
chapter, we will do the same when describing dogs. Therefore, in one chapter
'he' will describe a dog and 'she' will describe a human. Then we'll switch
off, and so on" (Cesar Millan and Melissa Jo Peltier, "Cesar's Way". New
York: Three Rivers Press [2006], p. 7).

The authors say explicitly that with this they seek to fight sexism; it's a
good goal, certainly. The way of going about it is what struck me as
convoluted. The ADS archives don't show it's been discussed before.

"Cesar's Way" sold over a million books, by the way, so you can imagine the
ripple effect.

F.