"With tombstones in NP's eyes"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 10 02:33:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Ben Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> The boogie woogie pianist Abie "Boogaloo" Ames was also apparently using the
> nickname in the '40s.

I'd forgotten about him. As for the cite from TIME, in 1939 I was too
young to be able to read. ;-) Not too mention that that's the kind of
unnecessary, annoying shit that keeps hypertension endemic in black
Americans, whereas the condition is unknown among black Africans,
despite their generally much lower quality of life.

It's also a matter of fact that hypertension is endemic among Finns in
Finland as opposed to the situation WRT Finnish-Americans. However,
AFAIK, no one has referred to this as a "medical conundrum."

Someone may have, but I don't do research. To paraphrase Richard
Pryor, "I work from memory." ;-)

--
-Wilson
–––

Once we recognize that we do not err out of laziness, stupidity,
or evil intent, we can uncumber ourselves of the impossible burden of
trying to be permanently right. We can take seriously the proposition
that we could be in error, without necessarily deeming ourselves
idiotic or unworthy.
–Kathryn Schulz