ciggieboo (unverified 1957) was Re: abreevs

Sun Dec 12 16:42:47 UTC 2010

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Nobody here checks HDAS. I can dig it. I'll figure out a way to get those
> decades back. (Barry, I feel your pain.)
>
> The form "ciggie-boo" [sic] has four exx. from 1958 to 1988. The earliest is
> from Britain, home of the WASP.
>
> Updates,  anyone? ...

1957 [unverified], The Southerner by Douglas Kiker, GB Page 137,
Rinehart, New York. (Google Books snippet; WorldCat agrees with date;
Not verified on paper)

He left them and sauntered back to me.
"Have you got a ciggieboo, old trooper?" he asked lightly.

1958 [unverified], After long silence by Robert Gutwillig, GB Page
201, Little, Brown, Boston. (Google Books snippet; WorldCat agrees
with date; Not verified on paper)

"A ciggy-boo, darlin'."

Here is an instance of rhyming slang for ciggie in 1946:

Cite: 1946, September 7, The New Yorker, page 25. (New Yorker online archive)

I keep myself down to words like 'arkus-malarkus' and 'ciggie-biggies.'

Garson