_Splib_ redux (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Dec 13 16:13:45 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The only hit for "splib" in the online Time archives:

"Funky, jive, dawn, high, the Man, hawk, cool, hot, copped-out, cats,
caps, kicked, reefer, Johns, juke, ofay, goofed, wing, hip, dig, soul,
honkies, splib (spook as in Negro), grass and skag are just a few of the
words appearing in black poetry that often have multiple meanings
elusive to the white reader."

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,944004,00.html

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> Wilson's flypaper memory does it again. HDAS could trace "splib" only
> 1966, with no indication that it was likely to be much older.
>
> Origin unknown, natch, but Herbert Simmons's 1962 novel, _Man Walking
on
> Eggshells_ (set in St. Louis) has the unique "splibbed" meaning
"stoned."

> In fact, Simmons also says, "They started calling him Splib because he
> stayed laid [i.e., high] all the time."  The novel, by an
African-American
> author, is set in St. Louis.
>
> I don't even try to figure these things out any more.
>
> JL
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      _Splib_ redux

-=