Quote: 640K ought to be enough for anyone (attrib Bill Gates 1990 January 1)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 14 12:05:45 UTC 2010

Garson continues his brilliant string of discoveries on quotation origins by pushing back this extremely important quote.  His posting below inspired me to go back into Nexis to do a broader search than I have done in the past on the Gates 640K quote.  Here is the still earlier evidence I found:

Microsoft Corp. chairman Bill Gates once said 640K of memory was more than anyone needed.  He was wrong.
InfoWorld, Nov. 14, 1988, article by George Morrow beginning on page 59

InfoWorld, which seems to have been the key vector of the quote, also has a very interesting earlier version:

When we set the upper limit of PC-DOS at 640K, we thought nobody would ever need that much memory.  -- William Gates, chairman of Microsoft
InfoWorld, Apr. 29, 1985, editorial by James E. Fawcette beginning on page 5

The 1985 version seems to be more of a matter-of-fact statement of the early thinking about memory, rather than the more dogmatic-sounding assertion ("ought to be enough for anyone") that became famous.

Fred Shapiro
Editor
YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS (Yale University Press)