kettling

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 14 16:04:40 UTC 2010

In Google I find "Polizeikessel" from 1987 in Die Zeit:
http://bit.ly/gQPNqJ

<http://bit.ly/gQPNqJ>and from 1986 in Der Spiegel
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-13518504.html

<http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-13518504.html>Der Spiegel has a
pretty good English site, and I looked for an article available in both
languages with the word Polizeikessel, but the magazine seems to have
finessed the issue in the past.

"Die bunte Truppe Demonstranten sitzt im Polizeikessel und weiß nicht recht
weiter."
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,616884,00.html
April 1, 2009

gets translated as

The colorful group of protestors, surrounded by police, suddenly has no
place to go.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,616931,00.html
April 2, 2009

So, 20 months ago, Der Spiegel did not recognize "kettling".

<http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,616931,00.html>DanG