calzone, bench press (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Dec 14 16:06:58 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> Calzone -- OED has [1944], 1950
>
> _Binghamton [NY] Press_ Nov 30 1943 p 9 col 4
> "Rosa goes back to the kitchen and cooks you up a lunch of pizza
> Napolitana-pastry replete with garlic, tomato paste and oil-and
calzone,
> a great fried cake stuffed with cheese."

I had forwarded this cite to Barry Popik, with surprise that it wasn't
already on his website.  He posted it, and antedated it to Oct 3 1933.
Newspaperarchive has the same article back to 9/27/1933:

_Evening Independent_ [Massillon OH] sep 27 1933 p 4 Col 3

"He is making calzone, of batter, cheese and meat."