another old-timey (double-)ethnic slur

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 15 01:31:04 UTC 2010

At 5:46 PM -0500 12/14/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>And what's more, she probably invented his one herself.
>
>JL

So Google indicates.  Given the paucity of Hebridean individuals of
the Israelite persuasion, perhaps she expected that no actual readers
would have been injured by the comparison, which it should be noted
is voiced not by Lord Peter himself but by the provincial (if
generally sympathetic) police superintendent in the Fens.

LH