Linguistic dark matter

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 17 20:31:32 UTC 2010

I'll take a crack, although the terminology baffled me as well. I
suspect, they mean the ranges between the deciles, not including the
first and the last. So the 10-9 - 10-8 decile range might imply
everything that is contained between the 80th and 90th percentile, so
it's not quite the same thing as 90th percentile proper. So, "below
10-6" means the lowest 60% in frequency. In fact, being a mathematician
likely disqualifies you from understanding statistical gibberish in most
fields, Joel.

Since I was never employed as a "mathematician" and nearly completed an
MS in stats (without so much as applying to the department), just having
a math degree may not be fully disqualifying. But it does hurt, apparently.

     VS-)