chicken hawk

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 21 00:57:20 UTC 2010

At 4:08 PM -0500 12/20/10, Michael Newman wrote:
>That might be a little out of date now since "chicken" seems to have
>died away. It has been mostly displaced by "twink" as a term for
>really young gay guys.

Aren't there affective differences too?  i.e. "chicken" more likely
to be helpless, objects to be taken advantage of, than "twink"?
Somehow "twink hawk" doesn't really evoke the negative implications
of pedophilia that adhered to "chicken hawk", although I concede that
I'm judging off the top of my hat.  Anyway, "twink hawk" is
pre-empted by the eponymous hairstyle, i.e. a mohawk for twinks.  I
wouldn't think "chicken hawk" has a parallel reading...

>  However,  the connotations between the terms are a bit different.
>Chicken implied underage; whereas twinks can be older maybe up  to
>early 20s,

Right, that's additional support for the distinction I was getting at.

LH