"information is the currency of democracy"

Wed Dec 22 06:27:07 UTC 2010

Geoff asked:
> Or did Jefferson really say something like this?

A Jefferson enthusiast named Eyler Coates was asked about the
quotation. He doubted that it was in Jefferson's writings. But he
assembled a collection of quotations that he asserted were written by
Thomas Jefferson and "convey the same basic idea".

Each reader can judge similarity. I cannot vouch for this information.
Please directly verify these quotations before use.

Here is the weblink:
http://eyler.freeservers.com/JeffWritings/archives/quote018.htm

(Begin excerpt)
I have not run across that quotation in the Memorial Edition of
Jefferson's Writings (ME), and doubt that it was written by Jefferson,
since he did not, to my knowledge, speak of "currency" with reference
to money or anything else.  The popular use of the term "currency"
seems to have been of later occurrence.

Jefferson DID write several things that convey the same basic idea, however:

"The information of the people at large can alone make them the
safe as they are the sole depositary of our political and religious
freedom." --Thomas Jefferson to William Duane, 1810.  ME
12:417

[Additional quotations are given]

(Sorry about the multiple messages. I wanted to try to help, and my
computer access will be sharply limited for a while. Happy holidays
all.)