trash

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 24 17:12:08 UTC 2010

Not in OED in the vital sense, "entertainment, esp. writing, that is
diverting or enjoyable despite being sensational, superficial, cliched, or
the like."

Anyone who doubts the separateness of this nuance might consider the
decontextualized sentence, "I love trash."  Or contrast the likely
interpretations of :

"He's made a fortune writing trash."

"Propaganda is principally trash."

Early or perhaps incipient ex.:

1947 (Nov. 3) in James Agee _ Film Writing and Selected Journalism_ (N.Y.:
Library of America, 2006) 436: They have seldom forgotten that the original
novel they were adapting is essentially intelligent trash.

The novel is William Lindsey Gresham's _Nightmare Alley_ (1946).

JL