it must be earlier

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 28 20:34:11 UTC 2010

I help out a non-profit based on a 1938 vintage ocean-going oil
tanker, so I have a personal perspective on this.

Before WWII, tankers were relatively small, and accidents were news
items because of the deaths of seamen, not because of pollution
concerns. Pre-war news items talk about oil spilling, usually as a
contributor to a fire, but not about the spill itself.

DanG