a gay

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 29 17:47:19 UTC 2010

At 8:10 AM -0800 12/29/10, geoffrey nunberg wrote:
>I posted on this in the Linguist List back in 1992.
>
>http://linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-855.html
>
>  Note that this affects both 'gay' and 'black', both of them group
>terms derived from monosyllabic adjectives. "He was sitting next to
>a black" is as suggestive of a disparaging attitude as "We have a
>gay living next door" is. Also, this isn't a matter of sg/pl but of
>specificity. "There are two gays (blacks) on the commitee" produces
>the effect, whereas "There are no gays (blacks) on the committee"
>doesn't, nor does the kind-denoting bare plural: "Gays (blacks) have
>been supportive of the policy" -- cf also "some gays/blacks," "many
>gays/blacks" etc.
>
>The effect seems to be pretty robust when I check with other
>speakers, but I'm at a loss as to why things should fall out this
>way.
>
>Geoff

I thought this sounded familiar.  The above posting by Geoff and
others (including Alice Faber) link back to earlier Linguist List
postings upthread at

http://linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-842.html
http://linguistlist.org/issues/3/3-833.html#1

with contributions from fellow ADS-Lers Mark Mandel, Dennis Baron,
and me, along with some good commentary by the late Ellen F. Prince,
much of that discussion centering on "a Jew" vs. "a Jewish person".