a gay

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Dec 29 18:10:39 UTC 2010

My realization of the possible offensiveness of the monosyllable "Jew" occured in the course of my teaching _The Merchant of Venice_.  I have inferred that--to students of Shakespeare, at least--"Scot" and "Moor" are more acceptable.

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM]

I too have encountered people who felt that "Jew" was offensive, though they
couldn't say why.  One suggested that it was because "Jewish person" was
"correct."  (How's that for rationalizing?)
Back in the '50s Gordon Allport suggested that group designators often seem
subjectively harsher or even disdainful in comparison with adjectival
constructions: "an Italian woman," "a Chinese man," "a black person."

I think the abruptness of a monosyllable has something to do with this, but
that shouldn't affect polysyllables.

About twenty-five years ago the campus paper referred to a student who'd
been bumped by a car and knocked down while jaywalking as "a
twenty-year-old black."  This resulted in at least one angry letter from
another African-American student who was outraged that her friend had been
"reduced to an adjective."  There was even a small march on the
administration building to rally the campus against "this kind of racism."
There was no rally against reckless driving on campus, or to warn students
against jaywalking across a four-lane road, or the like.

JL