Creaky voice: Invitation to be part of my research project

Ikuko Patricia Yuasa ipyuasa at BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Dec 31 04:35:34 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues:

My name is Ikuko Patricia Yuasa.I am currently a visiting scholar at UC
Berkeley, preparing grant proposals for research grants such as the
National Endowment for Humanities Grants.

I am looking for 2 or 3 people who would be interested in being paid to be
part of my current research project proposal. My preliminary research on
socio-cultural usage of American women's creaky voice was recently
published in American Speech by the American Dialect Society.

http://americanspeech.dukejournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/85/3/315

 I was encouraged by the reviewers of this publication to pursue further
investigation into this phenomenon by American women.  Also, this
preliminary research result may appear in Time Magazine in 2011 as it has
recently caught the attention of of the magazine's reporter.  I am
looking for those who teach college students in three American dialect
regions of Mountains (states located near Rocky Mountains), South
Atlantic, and North Atlantic.Their responsibilities are:

#1. Assigning approximately 100 (native American English speaker) students
to participate in a speech perception survey as part of their coursework
of the courses that the collaborators teach during the spring (preferable)
or/and fall semester of 2012.

#2. Assistance in recruiting 40 paid (native bilingual American English
speaker) informants (20 males and 20 females) by making announcements in
the collaborators' courses during the spring (preferable) or/and fall
semester of 2012.

#3. Assistance in locating a room where I can record 10 to 15 min.
conversations by these informants.

I am budgeting a research assistant in linguistics department at UC
Berkeley. If the collaborating researchers allow the research assistant
and I  to directly communicate with the students participating in the
research, their burden should be minimized. The monetary compensation that
I allocated for collaborating researchers is $5000 each. Please see the
itemized based on the number used for this year's grant for the National
Endowment for Humanities below:

$50,400/12 months
***
$6,000 ($1000 x 6 months): 1 research assistantship
$15,000 ($5,000 x 3): 3 collaborating researchers
$6000 ($2000 x 3): traveling to 3 collaborating research sites
$2400 ($20 x 40 informants x 3 research sites): payments
$200 ($100 x 2 digital recorders): digital recorders
$20,800: primary investigator's research leave
***Total: $50,400

Please let me know if you are interested in becoming a research
collaborator of this project.

Regards,
Ikuko Patricia Yuasa, Ph.D.
Visiting Scholar