Sambo -- not 1861 or 1704, but 1657

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 1 01:49:26 UTC 2010

I suspect Jon meant earliest generic name used to refer to *blacks* -- Jon?

George Thompson wrote
>I suppose the contestant are Taffy, Sawney & Paddy.

These are the three I've been looking at; plus one could add "Jock",
which perhaps does appear earlier; see below.  The OED has "1.b. A
Scottish (or {dag}northern English) sailor; a Scottish soldier or a
member of a Scottish regiment; any Scotsman. Freq. as a nickname.
slang." -- from 1788, but "2. A countryman, a rustic, a clown.' --
from 1658 and then 1803.

>OED has "a1700" for Taffy; EEBO seems to have it from the mid 17th C.
>"a1704" for Sawney (Scotsman -- as opposed to Sawney = fool)
>Paddy = 1714
>
>I didn't check EEBO for Sawney or Paddy -- seemed likely to be a
>pain in the ass.

Nor did I, I don't have access from home.  But I agree with George's
last point, for Google Books.

A quick Google Books search for Paddy, Taffy, Sawn[e]y, and Jock is
predominantly unproductive -- if they're used in books before 1660,
it will be hard to find.  For example, many false positives or
irrelevancies for Taffy; only one hit for Sawney and it's actually
French  "la maison de Sanoye", only three Sawnys, one Greek, one
Latin, one French title (page restricted, no publisher information,
and title unknown to WorldCat).

For Jock, after trying to eliminate works in Dutch there is "The
humble petition of Jock of Bread, Scotland: To the high and
honourable ...", allegedly 1649 (no preview).  But to balance that
slur, in _The book of common prayer and administration of the
sacraments: and other ..._, - Page 107" , is the claim of Scottish
ancestry for Our Lord -- "which jock was Christ" ... oh, no, it's
actually "which rock was Christ".

Another Jock:  _The Famovs Victories of Henry the fifth: Containing
the Honourable Battell of Agin-Court As it was plaide by the Queenes
Maiesties Players_.  [no author.] London: Printed by Thomas Creede,
1598.  One of the characters is "Iock".  ["One of the sources of
Shakespeare's Henry IV, probably written about 1587."]  Full view.

And much more in Latin, which Google Books seems to think is English
despite my request to restrict the language.

The characters in Shakespeare's Henry V, of course, are Gower,
Fluellen, MacMorris, and Jamy.  Was he PC, or what?

Joel