The first French "restaurat" was in New York, in 1821?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Feb 3 18:07:20 UTC 2010

I'm amused by two details in Michael's column:

1)  It starts:

[Q] From Peter Hill, Canada: One eats in a restaurant run by a
restaurateur. Where did the n disappear to, and when?

[A] It didn't disappear. It was never there in the first place.

So Joseph Collet's "restaurat" was the correct original form!

2)  "In late medieval times, restaurant turned into an adjective and
began to refer in particular to a restorative foodstuff, especially soup."

So when Joseph Collet advertised "soups of every description," his
was a genuine French restaurat.

Joel