more on "allegory"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 3 21:50:45 UTC 2010

Meaning "symbol." If anybody's still interested.  From a 1999 Salon.com
review of the movie _Three Kings_ [
http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/1999/10/01/kings/index.html]:

 "The torturer addresses Troy as 'bro' and 'my main man' and wants to talk
about Michael Jackson before forcing Troy to drink motor oil, an allegory
that would seem forced and clever if [etc., etc.]."

See, it's about the Gulf War and all, so it's a powerful allegory of
something. Like, Gulf Oil Company and how Iraq forced it to import
oil? Confusing, but that's allegory for ya!

JL