soldier = sailor

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Feb 4 17:23:40 UTC 2010

There are different levels of error in "fighter plane" (referring to any
combat aircraft) and "fighter sub."

"Fighter" is the jargon term for a class of aircraft, it is not a jargon
term for a class of submarine. The term the movie critic should have used is
"attack sub," or perhaps "fighting sub."

>From the use of "fighter sub" I would not say that this movie critic had
"professional-level skills," at least not in writing about naval subjects.
The use of the term, in fact, displays remarkable ignorance of the subject
matter. That said, I've seen many uses of "soldier" to mean "service
member," "warrior," or "warfighter," subsuming sailors in its definition,
but usually in email, conversational speech, or other non-editorial contexts
and generally not in published writing.

Also the CNN error is more understandable in that as years have gone by,
fighter aircraft have taken on more and more of the bombing or ground-attack
role. "Attack aircraft" (i.e., light bombers) have largely disappeared from
the American military arsenal, replaced by multi-purpose fighters. (Case in
point: the F-117 Stealth Fighter, which is designed for bombing, not
air-to-air combat.) In the USAF and USN today, the two classes of combat
aircraft are intercontinental-range strategic bombers and fighters (with a
few older attack aircraft still hanging on). The CNN error is more akin to
calling a "howitzer" a "gun" or "shell fragments" being called "shrapnel,"
although not nearly as technically nitpicky.