soldier = sailor

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Feb 4 19:31:44 UTC 2010

Exactly. Attack subs can carry nuclear payloads (as can fighter aircraft),
but the term was coined to distinguish them from strategic missile subs,
whose mission is to avoid the enemy, hide in the ocean's depth, and act as
the ultimate deterrent against nuclear attack (i.e., make the world safe for
cockroaches in a senseless act of vengeance). An attack sub, on the other
hand, is charged with seeking out and destroying the enemy.

The writer's use of "fighter sub" is a flag indicating that they are
unfamiliar with naval jargon or naval technology, tactics, and affairs in
general. Calling a WWII-era sub an "attack sub" is anachronistic, but it is
consistent with the current use of the term.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:11 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: soldier = sailor

My impression is that "attack submarine" is a 1950s retronym coined to
distinguish the traditional anti-ship submarine from the "strategic missile
submarine."  You know, the kind that can effectively wipe out a very large
nation all by itself.

Remember: "Strategic missile submarines don't kill people. People kill
people."

JL

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at bellsouth.net>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at BELLSOUTH.NET>
> Subject:      Re: soldier = sailor

---

> I wouldn't object to sailors or Marines being referred to as "warriors",
> any
> more than I'd have a problem with football players being called
"athletes".

> But I would not agree that football players can be called "golfers", for
> instance.
>
> The basic fighting unit of an army is the "soldier", and the basic
fighting
> unit of the Navy is (traditionally) the ship, manned by sailors.
>

> Bill Palmer

---