Origin of "Gitmo" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 5 21:28:17 UTC 2010

I agree that use of the word is unlikely to antedate 1942. Guantanamo Bay
became more important during WWII than ever before, and the enormous
increase in size of the U.S. Navy and Marines after Pearl Harbor provided
more opportunities and creative minds to discuss it.

The base was hardly a secret before WWII, so I'd expect that some article
written about it would have mentioned the catchy form "Gitmo," had anyone
been using it.

JL