"Missing T" revisited: Super Bowl edition

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 7 05:05:01 UTC 2010

At 11:08 PM -0500 2/6/10, Neal Whitman wrote:
>Recalling the thread that began here
>(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0911A&L=ADS-L&P=R4055),
>I've written a blog post about pre-nasal glottalization, syllabic [n] (or
>lack thereof), with the timely and convenient name "Peyton" as an example.
>
>http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2010/02/06/peyton-manning-and-the-missing-t-formation/
>
>Neal Whitman
>Email: nwhitman at ameritech.net
>Blog: http://literalminded.wordpress.com

Very nice, and for Saints fans, I presume the same phenomenon will
occur with the name of New Orleans coach Payton.

In some of our earlier threads, dating back to 2001 and 2004*, we
extended the discussion to glottalization in the voiced case of
"didn't" as in "No you dI?In".  Don't know if it's spread since
then...

* http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0409B&L=ADS-L&P=R2747
    http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0411C&L=ADS-L&P=R638
    et al.