"take offense to"; the "R-word"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 8 03:45:34 UTC 2010

>Formerly a well-meaning euphemism.
>
>JL

Yes, on the assumption that those who are late will still get there
in the end.  But by the point when it had turned into a noun with
retracted stress (rhyming with leotard), it was clear that the time
had come for another turn on the euphemism treadmill.  (One might
even say that the word had been hoist on its own...well, you get the
idea.)

LH