ffolliott

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Feb 10 15:04:54 UTC 2010

Good finds, Victor. I find myself agreeing with the beginning of the
1855 note and the 1893 note. Confusion about earlier engrossed
letters seems logical to me. In nice neat texts they could set off
initial letters by changing to a different script (such as capitalis
or uncial), but in a quick chancery cursive they were unlikely to do
that.

I cracked open my paleography stuff and didn't find anything that
looked like an ff, but that's not evidence of anything.

I also had it backwards on the long-s form: some of the examples I
just looked at actually had long-s initially and medially but not
terminally. So, doubling for an initial f to avoid confusion with
long-s might also be at play, either in the original or the
transcription.

I also have to admit that I'm much more familiar with the early
Middle Ages than the late MA (1400s), which is where the materials
they've been discussing is from.

---Dangerous Amy West