ffolliott

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 11 14:44:07 UTC 2010

An interesting comment from N & Q, 1855 via GB (I hope I'm not duplicating
someone's earlier post: have lost track):

"These surnames and some others are now-a-days often written and printed as
if the initial letter were originally a *double *f: whereas the modern
character is but a corrupted form of the *single *Old English *capital *letter
ff, as in the word ffollow, &c. Perhaps the capital letter is in its origin
simply a duplication, for the sake of distinction, of the small letter f.
There may be a little affectation in writing double f instead of single F. I
have seen the name " Foster" written in the following way — "Ffoster." This
is a step farther in affectation. I may as well follow the fashion ; so,
instead of W., I will on this occasion adopt

"uu. Or vv."

JL